Laziness in my posts!

Sorry guys, I had been meaning to post before now but I’ve just been having so much fun with Kaz and Cliff that I kept putting it off, and telling myself I’d do it at night… and then when night came I would just be too tired! But now, it’s my last night at their house so I really don’t have a choice but to get it done now (or else risk that my next hostel does not have reasonably priced internet).

Well, I guess I have a bit of catching up to do!

First off, I owe you a post about what happened in Tassie after my tour. During the weekend, I stayed with one of Karen and Cliff’s friends and his three roommates. They were really great people, and hilarious too. The first night we stayed in and just watched a couple of movies, including an Australian film that was EXTREMELY disturbing. It was one of those real-life ones that try to teach you a lesson… the ones that they make you watch in high school. However, I think this one was a lot more disturbing than any that we would have watched in high school! I can’t remember the name of it now, and I don’t want to talk about the subject matter here just in case I have minors (Stacy) reading. But wow. I still can’t believe that these poor Australian kids are subjected to a film like that at the tender high school age!

Anyhow, they also took me to this terrific market in Hobart, and a neat skywalk thing in another rainforest. And for once… it was actually NOT cold in the Tasmanian rainforest!

OK, I probably would have written more about my last days in Tassie if I had been good and updated my blog more promptly, but now because I don’t feel like talking about Tasmania anymore at the moment and I want to finish up the post so I can go to bed, I think I will just talk about what I’ve been doing while in Heathcote with Karen and Cliff.

Well, if anyone read Karen’s comment, we did have a spider incident. It was a HUGE spider – tarantula size even. It was crawling in the hallway of Karen’s house, and no one was home but us three girls (myself, Kaz, and Alissa). Now, I don’t mind spiders, as long as they are outside, and not crawling on me. This spider was inside, and crawling towards the door of the bedroom I was sleeping in! Luckily, the next door neighbor (and friend of Karen) was within shouting distance, so he came and took care of the spider for us, but not before it made a run for my room (and almost made it)! As much as I know you want it, I didn’t get a picture of the spider, but if anyone is really interested you can just google ‘Australian huntsman spider’ and I’m sure it will give you a picture and tell you how big they can get.

Moving on! Yesterday (Saturday) was Kaz’s birthday party. It was a wonderful time. The food was excellent, as was the wine, and I got to meet so many of Kaz and Cliff’s friends. They were all such interesting characters! At times, it was hard for me to understand what they were saying because of the thick Australian accents and slang words that I didn’t know, and I think that it was amusing to some of them to say things to me and laugh at my response… but it was all in good fun. We did have a bit of an issue before the party. Cliff and I drove an hour and a half to pick up Karen’s chocolate birthday cake, and… well… it kind of melted into his seat on the way home. Yeah, it’s that hot in Heathcote. But, we were able to salvage most of it, so I guess it could have been much worse. At least we didn’t have to bring the car to the party and give people spoons so they could eat it off the seat. And it was really good cake, so we would have done it!

Today we just spent the day relaxing and lounging around the pool. I have been running around so much since I’ve been in Australia that I enjoyed the off day. Tomorrow I’m heading back to into Melbourne for one night, and then going off my three-day Great Ocean Road tour to Adelaide. After that, on the 17th, I’m headed into the outback! That is one tour I’m extremely excited about. I’m sure I’ll have tons of things to write about then, and lots of pictures for you guys.

I must get to bed now though. It’s really late here, and laying around the pool all day really tires you out! Cheryl and Matt, please make sure that the pool is open and ready for Aunt Karen when I get back! And Cheryl, did the kids get my postcards? De’von and Richie did already so I’d think your kids probably did.

OH! I almost forgot to mention! I saw a Koala on Saturday, for the first time not in a zoo. Unfortunately, it was dead on the side of the road. Koala roadkill. It was so sad, especially because the koalas are becoming less and less common in this area. Just like the Tasmanian Devils they are all getting some kind of disease that is wiping them out. I have high hopes that before my Australian vacation is done, I will get to see a live one up in the trees.

Ok, gotta jet, ta-ta everyone!